Did You Know September Is Recovery Month?

by - September 23, 2017


I didn't. For the last 5 years my town has been having a Recovery Day In The Park during September, which I also wasn't aware of. I've been in recovery for 10 years now and it's been about 8 since I've been part of a meeting or support group. My husband has been in recovery for about 2 years. So this month really should mean something to us. I love that our town has this little festival. I know it is important to spread awareness about mental health and drug abuse. It's such a common thing to know at least one person if not more who struggle with mental health and/or drug abuse these days. So many people I knew when I was going through my own drug abuse issues are dying because they weren't ever able to find the help they need to climb out of the black hole that is drug addiction. It's just so very sad.

 I do know a good many people who are in recovery and are working hard to stay that way. I know the daily struggle. Being in recovery is so much more than just not using anymore. It's learning to socialize differently, learning to forgive yourself for all the things you did and getting over the embarrassment you caused yourself and your family. It's having the strength to look the people who love you in the eye, and saying "I'm Sorry" and showing them everyday that you are a different person. I know I struggle everyday with still trying to figure out who I am and who I want to be, which I know is something everyone deals with daily who are in recovery or not.

 So today I took my kids to the park to enjoy the festivities. They didn't really know what the festival was about, to them it was just family fun day so they were very happy. We went to a few booths and a jumpy house. It was a beautiful day out. When we got home I felt really thankful to be able to take them out and enjoy the day clean and sober with them. I'm grateful that I'm clean and am able to do things like this with them and enjoy them. One Day At A Time, right?



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

March 2018 Simply Earth Recipe Box + First Big Bonus Box Review

This post is so late, I've had so much going on and it just kept getting put on the back burner. Life with six kids is always chaot...