March Premium Japan Crate 2018

by - April 02, 2018



Japan Crate is a monthly subscription box that sends out Crazy and Exclusive Japanese Candies and Snacks.  They have 3 sized crates mini, original, and premium. I subscribed to the Premium Crate, which is $30 dollars a month + free shipping. In the Premium Crate you are guarenteed 15 items, 1 being a drink and 1 being a DIY kit. They also include a revolving bonus item in each Premium Crate. 


Matcha Milk Caramel Corn- all boxes received these. 

Matcha is a fine powder green tea that is often used in traditional tea ceremonies. These delicious caramel puffs are coated in a matcha milk blend with green tea. 

These puffs were what pushed me to finally take the plunge into getting this box, I love matcha and I love caramel corn and I couldn't wait to see how the two went together. These didn't have the matcha taste that I was expecting but they do have a sort of milky taste that I'm surprised to enjoy. They are super light and fluffy and have a great caramel taste. Everyone in the house really enjoyed these. 


Pandaro Cookie- all boxes received one of these. 

This was suppose to be a cute panda shaped better cookie, sadly though my panda didn't survive his trip from Japan. This was like any other butter cookie I've ever tried. 


Strawberries & Milk Cream Cake - all boxes received this. 

This cream cake was so light and airy, it wasn't like anything I thought it would be. It tasted like a Neapolitan sugar wafer, minus the crunch wafer. It was very delicious. 


Dora Q Gum - all boxes received this.

This is just like any normal gum candy all though these are really soft and easy to bite into unlike the gum candies you find here in the states. This gum is suppose to turn your tongue blood red after you've chewed it. We only tried one so it didn't really turn our tongues any color I guess your suppose to chew the whole box. I really like that these didn't take overly sugary like a lot of candy we are used to.


Premium Umaibo Mentaiko - all boxes received this. 

This umaibo comes in a special premium edition. It features mentaiko, or pollack roe, a dish often served with rice or cooking into a cream pasta. It's not fishy, in either sense of the word, so go ahead and have a taste of its perfectly salted umami flavor. 

So I thought when I bit into this that it wouldn't have a fishy taste to it, but it does. It has a salty fish taste when you bite in and a light fishy after taste. It's not a strong fishy taste but it's not something I'm used to. It's pretty interesting, my kids actually really liked this. I am loving all the light fluffy snacks in this box. 


Namaiki Shin Chan Sushi DIY 2 - only in Original and Premium boxes

These cute little DIY kits was another reason I wanted to sign up for the premium crate. These will be fun to do with my kids. We haven't done this one yet. All the instructions are in Japanese but if you check youtube you can easily find the microwave and chill time you need. 


Funari Meiji Ichigo Hina Chocolate - only in Original and Premium Crate

Hinamatsuri, also known as Girl's Day is a holiday in March that involves decorating a display with a set of dolls representing the Emperor and Empress, These chocolates are especially packaged for the holiday and have a light melty center covered with strawberry chocolate cream. 

These were a completely new experience for us. When it said these had a light melty center I wasn't expecting the super light puff center. As you can see in the picture below my daughter grabbed hers a little to hard and it exploded on here because they are that light and airy! The outside strawberry chocolate cream is so smooth and creamy it is quite melty too. These were really enjoyable they tasted a lot like a strawberry sugar wafer. 

WARNING: Dont squeeze or they explode!


Dragon Plum - comes in the Original and Premium Crates

This is a special dagashi, or traditional Japanese sweet, that comes from Okinawa. It has a Japanese plum, Ume, inside the candy that has been pitted so you can eat it easily. 

My kids kept calling this the eyeball candy. I claimed this for myself. The plum was so deliciously salty I really wished we got a bag of these. The outer candy wasn't very sweet, it was perfect to bring out the salty plume flavor though. 





Okonomiyaki Taro - in Original and Premium Crate

These wafer like strips are made to taste like okonomiyaki, a savory Japanese pancake like dish. It features distinct flavors of red ginger and traditional Japanese sauce. 

This wafer strip was pretty savory, the Japanese sauce and red ginger are really yummy. It has a fishy after taste and has almost a bbq sauce like taste to it. 


Peach Hello Kitty Candy - in Original and Premium Crate

This hello kitty lollipop was like any other lollipop I've had. Just with a yummy peach taste. It says this lollipop has a special ingredient that makes it easier on your teeth. My son devoured this in like 5 seconds. 



Truffle Milk Ganache- in Premium Crate only 

Have a taste of luxury in these chocolate truffles filled with a blend of milk chocolate ganache and fragrant orange liquer-like flavor.

These truffles are super creamy and I love that they are not overly chocolatey or sweet. The orange liqueur flavor is very light. These are definitely luxurious and I love that they come individually wrapped. 



Pureral Gummy Apple (Bonus Item) - only in Premium Crate.

These soft apple dummies are made with apples sourced from Aomori, a region known for the best apples in Japan. Enjoy the taste of the finest apples blended with a sweet hint of honey. 

My kids and I really enjoy these gummies, these have more of a fluffy marshmallow texture than a gummy. The apple and honey tastes are so strong and delicious and authentic tasting, I really loved that there was no artificial flavor taste to these. 



Kakushidama Candy - in premium crate only. 

This candy changes flavor as well as colors and the the last color is said to tell your fortune. Green is what you want to get because it means you will have good fortune, my daughter got yellow which means You have to work a bit harder. She really enjoyed all the flavor and color changes. This was a really fun candy. 


Hyorokumochi - in premium crate only.

These are a traditional candy that's been around since 1931 and features a soft chewy texture and lightly sweet flavor. 

I can't say how these tasted because I wasn't able to get it out of the wrapper it was just way to sticky! 



Kagabo Hojicha Latte - in premium crate only.

Hojicha is unique to other green teas as it is roasted in a porcelain pot over charcoal rather than steamed. The roasted flavors create a toasty, caramel taste that pairs well with the creamy milk of a latte. Enjoy this classic drink transformed into today's popular milk tea in this Hojicha latte. 

I really enjoyed this drink. I've heard of milk tea in some of the Asian dramas I like to watch on Netflix. The roasted flavor really gave the tea an interesting taste that I really enjoyed. 

I really enjoyed my first Japan Crate and I look forward to see what comes in the next box. I like being able to try new things and my kids really loved trying new candy. I think the most favorite thing for my kids  was the apple gummy pack, I really enjoyed the matcha caramel corn puffs and the milk tea the best. What did you think fo the March Japan Crate? 


*This post contains referral links*

You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

March 2018 Simply Earth Recipe Box + First Big Bonus Box Review

This post is so late, I've had so much going on and it just kept getting put on the back burner. Life with six kids is always chaot...