HomeChef March 2018 Review

by - March 28, 2018



Home Chef is one of many fresh ingredient and recipe weekly delivery services. I chose home chef to try out because it had the best reviews and a lot of their recipes appealed to me. You fill out a taste profile and they choose 3 meals for you that match your taste profile. You can easily change out these meals if you see something else you like better. You can servings to feed 2, 4, or 6. Each meal is priced at 9.95. You receive free shipping as long as you order $45 worth of meals and $10 if your order is under. They also have a no cook lunch option for $7.99.

Try Home Chef - get $30 dollars off your first order.

Having six children my husband and I rarely ever get out for a date night so we thought spending some time together cooking would be a great way to spend some quality time together. I love cooking he loves eating it's a win win.


Since this was my first box, I received a Home Chef Recipe binder to keep my recipes in which I thought was pretty thoughtful. It also comes with a welcome inside with recommendations on kitchen equipment, storage, prep, and cooking. It also gives you some information on their partners that supply some of their ingredients. It also tells you how to properly reuse and recycle everything that comes in your boxes.


Everything is kept fresh with in with help from the recyclable plastic wrapped cotton lined box. They use two reusable non toxic Ice packs one on top with veggies and other ingredietns and one below with the meats which are kept separated by a piece of cardboard so they can't contaminate any of the other ingredients. 


My husband and I chose to make the Tex-Mex Turkey Stuffed Peppers first. I love that all their ingredients come in one bag and are nicely labeled so there is no confusion.


Here are all the ingredients we received that are all great quality and fresh as can be. I love that everything is labeled and are easy to make a quick check to ensure we have all the ingredients we need to begin. 


Here is what are recipe card shows how our final product should look. I love how big the recipe cards are and they are printed on high quality photo paper so I know that if I spill something these may stand a chance. 


Here is what our meal look like. Pretty close to the recipe. They have very simple to follow steps so there isn't any confusion. My husband and I enjoyed making this meal together. The way they set out the instructions it's really easy to chose who does what without anyone getting in the others way. This meal was so great, it had a little spice but not so much that it has you reaching for your water glass. The ingredients are something I always have in my pantry/fridge that this is going into our dinner rotations. I really love that they used poblano peppers which are by far cheaper to buy than bell peppers. 


The second meal we chose to make was this Creamy Parmesan Steak Penne. I knew that if my husband and I loved this one it too would end up in our dinner rotations. Pasta and meat are always a filling option for my constantly starving growing children. My kids also love bell peppers so I am always looking for new recipes that I can make that includes them. 


I love how few ingredients are in this recipe, and all the recipes in home chefs menus. I love that all the ingredients are easy to find. 

This recipe was my husbands favorite he ended up basically making this on his own. He was so proud of himself. Since we met 10 yrs ago my husband hasn't made anything beyond grilled cheese, fried potatoes, and fried egg sandwiches. The ease of this recipe made him excited about the fact that now he had something he was positive that he could recreate for our family and not have to hear me tell him just how unhealthy it is. 


I was so excited when I saw this Triple Mushroom Risotto on the menu I knew I had to choose it. I love mushrooms and I've been dying to try my hand at making Risotto. 


Here are the last of all our ingredients from our box. 


There wasn't much to making this recipe, all we needed to do was chop up all the mushrooms and shallot and parsley. The hardest part of making risotto I found out was the 20 minutes of stirring. Thankfully there were four sets of arms so it wasn't too hard.


I was really happy with how this risotto came out. The small baguette was delicious with a small drizzle of oil and salt. it went so well with the risotto which was amazing. It was not at all as complicated as I thought it would be. The mushroom broth we made with this recipe gave the risotto such a great earthy flavor. This isn't something I would add to my dinner rotation but definitely something for my husband and I to make for specially occasions.  


 I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by HomeChef, I really didn't think I would love it as much as I did. If I'm honest I really didn't plan on keeping this subscription after my first order, but my husband and I really enjoyed this so we decided to keep it and receive a box a month. I really like that you can skip as many weeks as you like. The meals are simple and easy to make and will be easy to recreate later.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

March 2018 Simply Earth Recipe Box + First Big Bonus Box Review

This post is so late, I've had so much going on and it just kept getting put on the back burner. Life with six kids is always chaot...