April 2018 Premium Japan Crate Review

by - April 28, 2018


Everyone in my house gets so excited when they see this red box show up in our mail. This is a review of the Premium Japan Crate which costs $30 dollars a month. You get 15 items. There is a mini and original option as well. You can subscribe to Japan Crate HERE


This months theme was Hanami, Each crate comes with a pamphlet about everything you receive in your crate and links for how to make your DIY. Japan Crate boast that it only sends exclusive Japanese favorites and popular items that you can not find online. The first five items will be what you would get if you ordered a mini crate, the first 10 will be what you get in an original crate and obviously the rest will be what you receive only in the premium crate.


First thing everyone received were these Suppamucho Chips. The pamphlet reads: 

Plum blossoms are one of the flowers you can see during Hanami and are from trees that grow Ume, Japanese Plumes. These chips have the iconic sounds of Ume balance with a hint of sweetness. 

These chips have a sour vinegar taste and also the hint of sweetness which I really enjoyed. I enjoyed the face my husband made when he tried these chips even more, he doesn't like trying new things and these were not something he would ever eat. I love plums and these sour sweet chips were a real treat for my girls and I. 


The second thing in the box were these Sonomanma Peach gums. These three gums are meant to be a fun little game between friends, two are sweet and one is sour. I gave each gum a sniff and was able to pick out the sour one which is what I wanted. I really enjoyed the sour flavor and I love how soft and chewy these were. Each gum and a gooey center which was something new to me, the peachy flavor was nice and refreshing as well.


Next was this Cherry Mini Mochi, not quiet what I would expect mochi to look or taste like. 


These were very tiny and I love that they include a little tooth pick to make getting them out a lot easier. They had a very light enjoyable cherry taste. They were chewy but not like a gummy candy there really isn't anything I can think of to compare it to. 



Everyone received this Treasures of the Princess double berry flavored cake cookie. I've never had a "cake cookie" but as I always say I love these pastry type sweets from the Japan Crate they are always so light and fluffy and not dense and heavy like most sweet pastry here in the U.S. 


These cake cookie was so light and crumbly with a lovely and delicious strawberry and blueberry jam inside. I love that it's not overly sweet and is just the perfect little snack when your out and about. 


The last thing in what would be a mini crate was this piece of Felix Gum. They have a little ticket inside and if you win you can take them back to where you bought it and get another gum for free. I'm guessing I didn't win since the guy inside my gum looks as if he was hit by lighting. My daughter ate this and said it was just gum with a nice peach taste. 


These Shimichoco Caramel Macchiato stars are one of my favorite things from this box. These light puffy stars taste so much like Caramel Macchiato and have such a delicious coffee taste. I wish we had something like this that I could buy in town. I love the milky taste to these also. 



My kids really enjoyed these Strawberry Milk soft candy. The resealable pouch is super cute. The candies are good but nothing I would buy. There is a sweet hard strawberry outer shell and a soft milky sweet soft inside. I don't really like milk flavored or not but my kids love them.


Original and Premium crates include a DIY kit in each box. I have about 3 of these now and I do plan on making them but most need a microwave and I don't use one. I probably stock pile these for a little longer and then do a bunch of them at once. 


We got a Kikkun Mixed Candy, it's a lot like the fortune candy we got last month but with different flavors.   I don't know what Ramune taste like but I would guess that is what I got, because this didn't taste like grape, strawberry, cola or green apple. Mine came in green and stayed that color which means I have to "try harder" which is what we got last month as well. It was a nice hard candy though.



The last thing that would be in the Original Crate are these mini peach candies. They are in a container like frozen juice concentrates but much smaller. They taste like yummy peach Pez candies. They are super tiny, my youngest daughter really enjoyed them. 


Each Premium Crate was promised a box of Cookie Biscuits with a Sanrio character on it. I received this box of maple and butter flavored biscuits with Cinnamoroll on it. These biscuits were so delicious they tasted just like waffles. I love that they were wrapped in 7 packs of two. 


These Puchi Strawberry Sandwich Cookies have a lovely strawberry taste and I love how tiny they are. The centers of these cookies are really creamy and they just melt in your mouth. I love sandwich cookies and licking out the center but these are tiny and you can't twist off the top, but they were still very enjoyable. 


This mini Strawberry Short Chocolate was so cute and teeny and I didn't expect much from it, to be honest I was a little disappointed to see something so tiny in the box. It was unbelievably creamy and delicious like a more expensive chocolate than I would have figured for this.



These Mochitto Ichigo were exactly what I was expecting to see for mochi. These two little blobs of gooey chewy goodness were everything I expected mochi to feel and taste like. I love the texture of these and the strawberry center was a wonderful addition.


A close up of the strawberry and cream center. These were unbelievably amazing and I love that they aren't sweet but not quiet bland either.


The last thing in my box which wasn't pictured above was this Peach Coca Cola. I have to admit one of the big reasons I chose this box was for the drink in each crate. This Coca Cola was so peachy and refreshing and not at all what I was expecting. I love Cherry coke but I hate the syrupy taste that comes with these added flavors this peach cola did not taste syrupy at all. I throughly enjoyed it and shared it with no one!

My kids and I are really enjoyed our monthly Japan Crate although it is pricey the tastes are amazing and not something that can be found in my town. I love how light and flavorful these snacks are and they all just taste less artificial that what can be found in the states. Maybe it's just me, what do you think about the Japan Crate? If you are interested in Japan Crate you can sign up HERE.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

March 2018 Simply Earth Recipe Box + First Big Bonus Box Review

This post is so late, I've had so much going on and it just kept getting put on the back burner. Life with six kids is always chaot...